What is Health Promotion?
“Health promotion is the process of enabling people to increase control over, and to improve, their health” (World Health Organisation)
Health promotion extends beyond individual behaviours and encourages the wider community to help address the many influences that affect our population health. A large part of the health promotion role is providing information and education to ensure people have the knowledge they need to make healthy choices.
What do the Health Promotion Department in Gibraltar do?
Our role in Health Improvement and Health Promotion involves working with our community to improve health and wellbeing. Through social networking and education, we both enable and encourage healthy lifestyle choices as well as addressing underlying issues such as inequity, poverty, lack of opportunities etc. Making better choices today can have a great impact on future health, and our role is to support, and provide guidance on, healthier decisions.
We aim to improve health literacy, by ensuring our community have sufficient knowledge, skills and confidence to make informed decisions/ actions. Improving access to health information, and the capacity to use it effectively, is considered key to empowering and facilitating healthier lifestyles and living conditions.
- Contribution to the development and implementation of strategies and policies which impact on health.
- The development and facilitation of educational initiatives and training in public health.
- Facilitation and enabling of communities and/or particular interest groups.
- Initiation, management and evaluation of work programmes and/or specific health projects.
- Provision of advice and information, resources and practical support to anyone involved in health promotion activity.