Best Protection for Corona Virus COVID-19
Methods to ensure you stay healthy and prevent the spread of infection include:
- Frequent hand-washing
This remains the simplest, cheapest and most effective way to prevent the spread of infection. You should clean your hands:
• After blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing
• After visiting the toilet or changing a nappy
• Before eating, drinking and handling food
• If your hands are dirty.
You can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available, but remember this will only work on visibly clean hands.
1) CATCH them; germs spread easily, so carry and use tissues to catch your cough or sneeze.
2) BIN them; germs can live for several hours on tissues so bin them as soon as you are able.
3) KILL them; hands can transfer germs to any surface you touch so ensure you keep them clean.
Best prevention also includes:
- Maintaining social distancing. This involves keeping a distance of least 1 metre (3 feet) between yourself and other people, particularly those who are coughing, sneezing and have a fever. Viruses spread quickly through droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, and when you are too close you increase your risk of breathing in the virus.
- Disinfecting surfaces that may be contaminated.
- Being aware of when you are ill, seeking advice when you need to, but ensure you call before visiting areas where others are sick and have lowered immunity.
- Getting your free flu jab
Over 500 consultations took place in the PCC for upper respiratory symptoms in a two week period at the beginning of the year. Ensure you get the flu vaccine to help prevent flu associated complications, potential hospitalisations and the spread to others.
- Ensuring you are Smoke Free
Quitting smoking, and avoiding second-hand smoke, is one of the single best interventions you can use to improve your health. Early studies into the 2019-nCoV indicate a relationship between smokers infected with the virus and poorer health outcomes. If you are a current smoker, make the decision to quit today