What is social distancing ?
The following measures are crucial ones we should all be taking to reduce the transmission of COVID-19:
- Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough
- Avoid non-essential use of public transport when possible
- Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this.
- Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces
- Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
- Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services
Everyone is advised to follow the above measures and to significantly limit face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible, particularly those who are:
- are over 70
- have a weakened immune system, such as those suffering from cancer, or on special medication, in particular those with long term conditions like heart disease, poorly controlled diabetes, poorly managed blood pressure and chronic lung disease.