Flights and Covid-19
As airlines begin to resume flights it is important to remember that Covid-19 is still circulating globally and the risk of spread, particularly to those who are vulnerable, is still present.
People who intend to travel are urged to avoid those parts of the World with a high incidence of COVID-19. It is unwise to travel to places where the healthcare system may be under stress, where you may not be covered by insurance, and where you may bring infection back into your family and community in Gibraltar. It is also important to become familiar with the rules and regulations in the country you intend to visit and, if applicable, transit through before departing Gibraltar.
You may be asked to wear a mask for the duration of your airline journey (from entering the airport to leaving the airport at your destination). Ensure you follow any guidance set out by your airline company.
As of the 18th March 2022, when you travel to Gibraltar from abroad you:
- do not need to take any COVID-19 tests before you travel or after you arrive
- do not need to fill in a passenger locator form
- do not need to quarantine when you arrive
This guidance is applicable whether you are vaccinated or not.
Out-bound flight from Gibraltar
Some jurisdictions still require certificated proof of a recent negative test showing no virus present, or demonstrating vaccination status. Further information can be obtained from the FCO Travel Advice website, as different countries have different requirements it is your responsibility to ensure you have met the relevant requirements.
Passengers travelling to an airport or country that accepts negative rapid antigen tests may arrange this at the COVID Rapid Test facility at the Gibraltar International Airport. The cost is £30 inclusive of the travel certificate (read more below).
Using the GHA/ Public Health service:
Travellers who require PCR tests and certificates should fill out the online form HERE.
Note: applicants should contact the certification service a minimum of 96 hours prior to their departure date to arrange, even if testing is required as close as possible to departure date/ time.
The cost for this service is £30, inclusive of the certificate. A PCR test is not required for all countries, please check relevant requirements beforehand.
Private company options:
It is also possible to arrange private swabbing through any of the following clinics (payment as advised by each clinic):
- Maritime Medical Services Ltd – Tel: +350 54075070, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- College Clinic – Tel: 200 77777, Email: Shipping@collegeclinic.gi
- Specialist Medical Clinic – Tel: 200 49999, Email: email@example.com
- We Care – Tel: 200 41448, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rapid COVID-19 Testing Service is located at Gibraltar Airport. This service is for:
- Airline passengers arriving and departing within 72 hours of their flight
About the Rapid Test:
- The price per test is £30.
- You must register and pay for your test online before visiting the test service unit. Register here.
- A nasal swab will be taken at the Testing Service Unit
- You will be informed of the test result via SMS. You will receive an email within 30 to 60 minutes as well as an online Certificate.
In-bound flight to Gibraltar
There are no current restrictions for those entering Gibraltar. Read more on the Gibraltar Tourism website HERE.
Advise remains to call 111 immediately if you feel unwell at any point (even if you have already been swabbed).
Note: If calling from a Non-Gibraltar telephone line you will need to call 00350 20072266 await the pick up by a call handler and request a line transfer to 111.