Our lifestyle today with so many opportunities to watch TV, play computer games and the abundance of fast food available, tends to make us less active. We do not move about as much, or eat as well as we used to. As a result, we are more prone to accumulating fat in our bodies. Being overweight can lead to:
- Life-threatening diseases like cancer, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- aches and pains,
- problems sleeping
- loss of energy and confidence.
- increased chance of getting heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
Change4life encourages you to take the first step towards getting yourself and your family eating well, moving more and living longer.
Remember the calorie rule-‘smart 400-600-600’
Calories are a measure of the amount of “energy” in food and drinks. Knowing how many calories are in your food can help you balance the energy you put in your body with the energy you use, which is the key to maintaining a healthy weight.
The calorie rule is simple – eat approximately:
- 400 calories for breakfast (including any drinks and accompaniments)
- 600 calories for lunch (including any drinks and accompaniments)
- 600 calories for your evening meal (including any drinks and accompaniments)
That leaves you with just enough left over to enjoy a few healthy drinks and snacks throughout the day.