World Stroke Day, 29th October 2017
The World Stroke Organization stress that 1 in every 6 people suffer from strokes, and 90% of all strokes are linked to 10 key risk factors:
- Control of high blood pressure
- Doing moderate exercise (at least 5 times a week)
- Eating a healthy balanced diet
- Keeping a low cholesterol
- Maintaining a healthy body mass index
- Avoid smoking and second-hand smoke
- Reducing alcohol intake
- Treating atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeats)
- Controlling diabetes
- Addressing issues associated with low income and education
Not all risk factors will be relevant to each individual but they are all seen to increase the risk of stroke.
Strokes can happen at any time to anyone of any age so it is important as a community to raise awareness of stroke prevention, identification, and treatment.