COVID-19 – Common signs of infection
The symptoms of COVID-19 appear to vary in occurrence and intensity, but key symptoms to be aware of include:
- Fever (temperature over 37.8ºC)
- A new cough (dry or chesty & producing phlegm)
- Shortness of Breath (unable to complete a sentence without pausing to breathe)
- Loss of appetite, sense of smell, and/or taste
- A sore throat
- Flu-type symptoms (including muscle pains/body aches etc.)
For symptoms in children click here.
In severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and (in worst cases) death. It is important to note any worsening of symptoms and contact 111 for advice (or 190 if it is an emergency, making the healthcare team aware of COVID-19 symptoms).