Discussing Screen Time
Our Nation’s Health Survey 2021 shows: Since the first COVID-19 lock-down, 47% of adults report an increase in screen time.
Positives of screen time =
- Supports friendships and connects you to a wider community
- Encourages creativity and learning
- Provides entertainment
- Source of advice
Potential negatives of increased screen time =
- Increased time sitting still, and snacking on high-density foods
- Influence on mood, with reports of anxiety, poor self-esteem and depression
- Exposure to negativity, “hate speech” or online abuse
- Detrimental impact on sleep patterns
The effect of screen time varies a lot according to context making it very difficult to provide guidance. Best advice is to discuss screen time as a family, to advocate for balance, and prioritise face-to-face social interactions within the household.