Unlocking the Rock
Note: As of year commencing 2021 the content on this page is deemed outdated, see latest guidance for Covid-19 here.
HM Government of Gibraltar have released a strategy document detailing the phased return to work and life pre-Covid-19 [click here for document in full]. The gradual process of unlocking is necessary to facilitate the effects of each phase, noting any changes to infection rates that may trigger “re-locking” criteria. The six phases described are as follows:
- Guidance for re-locking the rock / deviating from the above stipulations is highlighted here.
- Advice continues to be – stay at home where possible, and when going out ensure you maintain physical distancing / best hygiene practice.
- Masks are being recommended, in line with the World Health Organisation, inside buildings and vehicles where it is not possible to keep between 1- 2 metres AND for anyone with suspected COVID-19 symptoms.
For the approach to locking and unlocking click here.
As of May 18th (Phase 2)
- Visiting family members in their homes is permitted, keeping gatherings below 12 people.
- Years 2, 6, and one secondary school year group (yet to be confirmed) will attend school for 2 hours (either morning or afternoon).
- Exhibitions, museums and libraries opened, with some access restrictions in place
- Patients awaiting treatment will be contacted based on waiting time since referral and deterioration of symptoms, N.B. services for over 70 years will remain on hold
- Private gymnasiums are permitted to open, in line with permit from Public Health (requests to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org). Private trainers can recommence classes when social distancing is maintained and they use a mask.
- Minor works can continue with a permit from Chief Technical Officer (Call: 200 59800 / 200 59803)
- *21st May, regulations regulating freedom to movement are repealed
As of June 1st (Phase 3)
- Stand down from major incident (MAJAX) declaration
- Line Wall road & Chatham Counterguard road closures
- Retail sector opening hours to return to normal
- Public transport to recommence with certain stipulations (for example masks on buses)
- Religious gatherings recommence, abiding by social distancing rules
- Theatrical/ musical performances recommence without live audiences
- Limited re-opening of restaurants
As of June 16th (Phase 4)
- Re-opening of bars with hygiene restrictions
- Considerations made for the re-introduction of additional year groups returning to education
- Bathing Season begins, B. no access to Europa and GASA bathing pools for anyone under 70 years
- Colon cancer screening recommences
- Phased introduction of contact sports permitted (see Document pgs 51-54 for more)
As of June 29th (Phase 5)
- Plan to allow public gatherings, such as weddings and religious ceremonies
- Majority of sports now permitted, with adherence to hygiene/ sanitation considerations
- Family visits to recommence for Elderly residential services
- Restaurants to allow a greater occupancy
As of July 15th (Phase 6)
- Review of all restrictions currently in place on the rock
- All screening services recommence
Removal of all lock down measures as of August 1st* if restriction measures are no longer required and the risk of COVID-19 infection remains low