World Kidney Day, 14th March 2019
Health Promotion supported an event to highlight kidney health awareness organised by the Gibraltar Dialysis Patients and Friends Group at Westside School on Thursday 14th March.
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) refers to a progressive loss in kidney function over a period of months or years and is a major public health concern.
With rising numbers of blood pressure, diabetes and dialysis patients in Gibraltar, kidney care concerns all of us.
Healthy kidneys play a vital role in:
- regulating the body’s fluid levels
- filtering wastes and toxins from the blood
- releasing hormones that regulates blood pressure and direct production of red blood cells
- activating Vitamin D to maintain healthy bones
- keeping blood minerals such as sodium, phosphorus and potassium in balance