Before going on a trip it is important to prepare four to six weeks in advance. Read about the health and safety advice for the country which you are planning to visit and find out if you should have any travel vaccines beforehand; your GP will be able to provide advice on this.
It is recommended to prepare a kit of travel health essentials which could include:
- Antiseptic cream or cleanser
- Condoms – take your own with you to avoid the risk of buying fake ones or having unprotected sex.
- Wound-cleaning gauze
- Insect repellent
- Insect bite treatment
- Medication for pre-existing medical conditions
- Anti-diarrhoea medication
- Water disinfectant / Hand sanitizer
- A thermometer
You may also consider taking anti-malaria medication or mosquito nets depending on your destination.
Remember – It is vital to travel with health insurance. This will cover the costs of any essential medical treatment you may need while abroad.
For information on recommended travel vaccines (according to country) please visit the NHS Travel site; please note that travel vaccinations are offered by private practices in Gibraltar.